What's next for Bugbear?

BattleXer

Two men go in. Only one comes out!
Full time wrecker
Hi all, and a happy 2020.

As the title says. I appreciate the ongoing support for Wreckfest, the new cars and tracks and gizmos. I am glad for the console crowd to have their piece of this outstanding action. I'm enjoying racing on- and offline. I am looking forward to more of the same in the near future. But I was wondering...

What is your outlook for the next Next Car Game? Are you going to put some concerted effort into Stuntfest? Is there scope to revive Flatout in some form or another? Or maybe get serious on Road Rumble?

Because the tech you guys have got is awesome. I'd like to see it utilised in some other context. And I would love to see another Bugbear racing gem sooner rather than later!!! What are your thoughts?

Cheers!

TH8

As a Hardcore Sim Racer myself having all the major Sims like iRacing, rFactor2, Raceroom, Automobilista, Assetto Corsa Competizione,etc I have found 'Wreckfest' to be right up there with these titles but offer that one area that most / all Sims do not have and that is 'Damage'...so for me Wreckfest is the total package with fantastic looking Graphics, Audio, great car Physics on both Dirt and Tarseal, great Steering Wheel Force Feed Back, Multiple Controller support and Multiple Monitor support and most of all the serious race and / or fun factor....everything a Sim needs.
There could be room for a serious Racer with all the above with Damage of course and not necessarily with licensed cars / tracks for eg a GT3 /4 style cars / Racing Trucks with authentic looking liveries possibly or a Rally Cross racer, although this is basically what Wreckfest has now...lol...anyway, whatever the direction Bugbear take i will be very interested and have my money at the ready when the title shows up.

P.S. Would you be open to working in with other Development Houses such as Studio 397, Sector 3 Studios, Reiza Studios, iRacing to pool resources...only just thinking out loud:);)
Keep up the great work Bugbear.

BattleXer

Full time wrecker
Sooo, there are plans then?! ;) I like the sound of that!

I totally agree with TH8 that you guys have the missing link, which could bring virtually any game involving cars closer to the ultimate experience.
Imagine GTA, Driver, or Mafia with this kind of underlying destruction... Something I would personally like to see would be something like Mad Max: Fury Road in game form. Or a game based on Steven Spielberg's Duel. Or basically anything that involves epic car chases. Blues Brothers anyone?

Anyhow, just day-dreaming... :p I am sure whatever you guys come up with next will rock!!

Keep it up Bugbear. Cheers.

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
Thanks for your encouragement and interest in our dabblings.

We are going to fly under the radar for the time being, but it's safe to say that whatever we do it's going to do something with racing.
Looking forward to a new update to Stuntfest this year Janne. :)

A Stuntfest that will load current Wreckfest tracks again and a Stuntfest that can load a track file save by Bagedit, would be great. As it is now since Aug 29, 2019 WF update, I can't use Stuntfest any more for my custom track making for Wreckfest. :(

Reactions: TH8

Janne Suur-Näkki

Administrator
Staff member
For sure we have plans, it's not like we're going to be twiddling our thumbs :)

In many ways, Wreckfest was an uphill battle but at the end it paid off to stay true to our vision and keep on grinding. For the most part, I think the greatest virtue of Wreckfest is that it offers something for many types of players as is pretty evident even in this thread. In future, we need to be careful to maintain that special quality, but at the same time, we will of course need to see what we can improve and add to cater to different audiences and types of players without locking us too much in a certain type of gameplay.

In many ways, Wreckfest was an uphill battle but at the end it paid off to stay true to our vision and keep on grinding. For the most part, I think the greatest virtue of Wreckfest is that it offers something for many types of players as is pretty evident even in this thread. In future, we need to be careful to maintain that special quality, but at the same time, we will of course need to see what we can improve and add to cater to different audiences and types of players without locking us too much in a certain type of gameplay.
Any thoughts to balancing the A.I properly? I am not the greatest player in the world but I use to be able to play comfortably on advanced difficulty when the game came out. Now even novice feels like a challenge sometimes in custom games when they are able to magically evaporate decent gaps in one corner thanks to rubber banding and on quite a few tracks there always seems to be that one over sped up a.i at the front on novice. And when you take that car out it either some how catches you on the next corner or the car behind it is suddenly on your bumper the next corner no matter what the gap. To me the easiest difficulty should be easy to beat then adjust up to find a challenge. It does not feel that way sometimes on custom games on certain tracks. (Northfolk ring both versions comes to mind)

TH8

That's great to hear...Wreckfest is unique and an improvement for the future in my eyes would be the addition of 'VR', although not sure whether your game engine can implement this....as this would possibly bring in more potential VR racers and would be EPIC as I have read in other Racing site Forums there are players that state 'No VR No Buy'...and that 'Death Loop' in VR...OMG:)
Possible other ideas for the Sim Racers such as myself would be 'Cockpit' seating adjustments, being able to map with buttons, Forward, backward, up, down, Pitch angle etc to get the steering wheel dash position just where you like it.
Another idea for the Multiple Monitor support would be 'Triple Screen Support'...being able to adjust the 2 side monitors perspective so the image is not stretched.
...these are just thoughts of mine and not really necessary in the long run as I already enjoy Wreckfest as it is...keep up the great work Bugbear.

Last edited:

Dirt N Track

Any thoughts to balancing the A.I properly? I am not the greatest player in the world but I use to be able to play comfortably on advanced difficulty when the game came out. Now even novice feels like a challenge sometimes in custom games when they are able to magically evaporate decent gaps in one corner thanks to rubber banding and on quite a few tracks there always seems to be that one over sped up a.i at the front on novice. And when you take that car out it either some how catches you on the next corner or the car behind it is suddenly on your bumper the next corner no matter what the gap. To me the easiest difficulty should be easy to beat then adjust up to find a challenge. It does not feel that way sometimes on custom games on certain tracks. (Northfolk ring both versions comes to mind)
What platform are you playing on? On PS4 I have the difficulty on the highest setting and the AI is still too easy sometimes. I would like the insane difficulty setting that the PC has, to really make the game fun!
That is why I want them to have a setting for the AI rubberbanding. I personally like it, I cant stand when you are all by yourself, I want action and chaos (Wreckfest!) When I wreck an opponent and shortly they are back racing with me, just gives more opportunity to wreck them!

I am on ps4 as well. Maybe i am just no good anymore. Sometimes i can beat them easily then sometimes they seem faster on the same difficulty. As i said i use to be comfortable on advanced now novice seems tough sometimes. I like wrecking too but if i smack an ai off one corner i wouldnt expect them to be back at the next maybe thats just me

Dirt N Track

"Sometimes i can beat them easily then sometimes they seem faster on the same difficulty". I have noticed that as well, the difficulty is not the same for the special vehicles either. They seem easier than the standard ones. That is why I have been after them to offer more customization of the AI aggressiveness settings, difficulty settings, rubber-banding etc, for people like us who each have a different preference and skill level.

BattleXer

Full time wrecker

I very much agree that Wreckfest is something special. And within the racing genre certainly something almost unique. You guys have come a long way with Wreckfest over the years, and I am happy to have been there all the way from the very first announcement of wanting to crowdfund your own game. I've seen the ups and downs, the excruciatingly long waiting periods with almost no communication from the devs, the engine change, the change in scope and the various polls asking which way the game should be going.
I've also seen the at times very divided community, and a lot of opinions trying to influence Bugbear to go one way or the other with the game.
Crowfunding/Early Access, I guess, can be both a blessing and a curse. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. But with the lack of publisher backing (to begin with) clearly a viable option to fund your dream project.
And I do agree that you have managed to very much it the target in what you set out to achieve. Wreckfest definitely one of of my favourite (racing) games. One that I come back to often. And one that will stay installed on my HD for a long time yet.

That's why I was curious to see where you guys were thinking of taking this series/tech to in the future.

RAND0M7

Yea, I love this game, I'm hoping they keep working on it so that we get extras like Rain, Fog, Night (Super Moon and well Lighted tracks). But the basics of the game are absolutely fantastic, great fun hectic gameplay, lots of freedom and car customization, and I love tracks like the new Hellride to go with the serious ones too.

If they could put together an easy to use map editor for creating our own tracks, this game would be the best in existence and easily last for years and years. :D

Reactions: TH8

Big Ron

I am pretty late. But better late than never :D Congratulations for your succesful release of Wreckfest for PC and even consoles. At first I was sceptical. But overall, you developed a very well done spiritual successor of the Flatout-series with it´s own character and specials. You´ve created stunning content for the game until the end. Very well done.

For the future, my biggest wish would be a port for the Nintendo Switch, eve if it needs to be a scaled down version of the full technical experience. Maybe a team specialized on porting for Nintendo could do this job. Maybe you could do it by your own. Anyway, it would be a great chance to spread the success of the game to another platform. At least there are good chances for fame, because the Switch doesn´t have enough great racing games, yet.

csivers

Sure, I never really understood why, as everybody like car chases in movies, nobody never thought about a making a car chase game! I know only Chicago 90 on Atari St (release date 1989!) , Driver (a little bit) and GTA Online (a little bit), that's not a lot!
I mean a multiplayer game where robbers should have to escape cops and would have to cooperate by radio, block roads, et in order to catch them. And obvisouly with different landscape, in the city or country side (Duke of Hazard style)

Last edited:

Purple44

Team Bugbear Member
But we do have that. ;)

First Cops and Robbers event back in 2015, thanks WorldofBay. :)