Staff member
WF_Tournament_update_SOCIALMEDIA_s12.jpg

HIGHLIGHTS
  • New tournament: Wrecking Madness
  • New free Wrecking Playground environment
  • New Speedbird GT tournament reward car
  • New Extreme damage mode
  • Improvements and fixes
We're excited to announce a new tournament, and this time it's something that's going to blow your socks off!

In 2013, we released the seminal tech demo "Sneak Peek" that gave you the first taste for Wreckfest (back then modestly called Next Car Game) and set the standard for our future endeavors. That was almost eight years ago, and now we're giving you the chance to relive the glory of that very tech demo! That's right - this update includes a new free track Wrecking Playground that's basically the tech demo environment reimagined, vastly expanded, improved and brought up to contemporary standards, not to mention that it's now available on all platforms. Not only that, but we also implemented a new tech demo inspired Extreme damage mode that cranks the visual damage knob all the way to 11 and disables gameplay health so you only get wrecked when you lose two or more wheels and the car is inoperable.

The tournament is themed around the Wrecking Playground environment, with the monthly event challenging you to score points by wrecking your car, destroying objects and getting airtime. To make sure you can really go to town with vehicular destruction, resetting the car will repair it instantly. The weeklies are timed events in which you need to collect the special Bugbear coins littered around the level as quickly as possible. And of course, since any tech demo remake wouldn't quite be the same without the iconic Speedbird with Next Car Game livery we're bringing it too back as a tournament reward.

And the best part? Wrecking Playground and the accompanying Extreme damage mode are both available in multiplayer as well. As a special trick, whenever the game mode is set to deathmatch or team deathmatch and damage mode to Extreme, single player or multiplayer, resetting will instantly repair the car just like in the tournament events so you can get the full Wrecking Madness experience with your friends as well!

As a standard practice, this release also contains a number of additional enhancements and bug fixes such as improved antialiasing and performance on PlayStation 5. We invite you to check out the release notes below for a complete summary of items fixed or improved upon. As always, thanks for all the feedback and please keep it coming!

Let's start wrecking!

RELEASE NOTES

Game version

PC: 1.277122
XB1/XSX: 2.0.0.8
PS4: 2.08
PS5: 1.008

CONTENT
  • Added a new track: Wrecking Playground.
    Server admins note: the internal designation for the track is wrecker01_1.
TOURNAMENT
  • Introducing new tournament: Wrecking Madness
  • New tournament reward car: Speedbird GT.
SYSTEM
  • (XB1/XSX) Game no longer sporadically crashes during multiplayer.
  • (PS5) Improved Voice Chat reliability.
  • (PS5) Improved multisample anti-aliasing.
  • (PS5) Improved performance.
MULTIPLAYER
  • Server admins note: if you're using a custom script to start your server, make sure that the executable points to Wreckfest.exe or Wreckfest_x64.exe in the ROOT (the "main" installation) folder, and not in the /server folder as previously. Attempting to launch the server from the /server folder won't work anymore.
  • Improved dynamic objects syncing over network.
GAMEPLAY
  • Added a new "Extreme" damage mode.
  • Improved Bandit and Bandit Ripper handling.
  • (PS5/XSX) Improved dynamic dirt for a number of vehicles.
AUDIO/HAPTICS
  • Speedbird engine audio no longer cuts off when the engine is over-revved.
  • Schoolbus, Motorhome, Supervan & Sofa Car loaners: Fixed triggering misconfiguration with gearshifter sounds.
  • (PS5) Fixed surface material misconfiguration that disabled some surface sounds and their haptic feedback.
  • (PS5) Decreased the effect of in-game physics to haptics intensity of track object and car-to-car collision rumbles.
  • (PS5) Added unique dynamic skid rumble for asphalt surfaces (take that Rocket RX for a spin!).
  • (PS5) Added unique rumble for barrel and fence collisions, player vehicle gearshift and backfires.
  • (PS5) Adjusted rumble style of low momentum collisions with track objects for a sharper/snappier feel.
  • (PS5) Lowered center frequency of low intensity car-to-car collision rumbles.
While downloading the update, please enjoy these screenshots to get a taste of what to expect:

game_release_64 2021-05-29 09-49-01.jpg

game_release_64 2021-05-29 10-00-44.jpg

game_release_64 2021-05-29 09-55-40.jpg

game_release_64 2021-05-29 10-14-32.jpg

game_release_64 2021-05-29 09-47-13.jpg

game_release_64 2021-05-29 09-45-09.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much Bugbear and Janne. I just cannot believe that this came in the new update. You guys are amazing and I mean it from the bottom of my heart. This is AMAZING content and I just felt so excited and happy when I saw this announced on Twitter. I love being a part of this community and this is the kind of content that improves the game in leaps and bounds. Keep it up guys! I'm rooting for you all the way from New York. I love the Wrecking Playground because it adds a touch of BeamNG Drive to Wreckfest and that is ALWAYS welcome. Thank you so much guys.

TheEngiGuy

Weeked Smasher
Here just to say THANK YOU! I always wanted to have a new physics playground for the current version of the game and see how everything really compares to the 2013 tech demo. Plus the new damage mode seems interesting.

timmy76

Full time wrecker
So does that mean the normal Bandit will be available to everyone at some point?.
Already own it on PC so it would be nice to use it on xbox aswell.

Firebird

Full time wrecker
So does that mean the normal Bandit will be available to everyone at some point?.
Already own it on PC so it would be nice to use it on xbox aswell.
It would be cool to enjoy the standard bandit on console. I have it on PC but I must admit I haven't driven the car as much lately due it not being the most competitive. Still it looks cool and I'm keen to try it with this revised handling.

Side note: thank you for the update Bugbear! Seems like only last week there was a Kickstarter for Next Car Game. As on old school fan of this and Flatout etc, I'm so happy this game didn't forever get stuck in alpha. The first couple of years were slow and rocky but Wreckfest has fruition-ed into an authentic and fun racer.

gamebux

Thank you for this, Extreme damage mode looks fun (but I dislike the 100% repair car reset in multiplayer if I read that right)

The Speedbird GT looks great. Wouldn't you like to bring back the looks of the Rammer, Boomer and Killer Bee as they were in Next Car Game?
In my opinoion they look better than the newer versinos.

Reeneman

I´m so happy that they improved the anti-aliasing on Ps5. That was my only concern with the graphics. Runs still very fluid and is more pleasing to the eyes.
The downer after this patch is that there is a lot more visible pop-in of wreckage during racing :(

I´m so happy that they improved the anti-aliasing on Ps5. That was my only concern with the graphics. Runs still very fluid and is more pleasing to the eyes.
The downer after this patch is that there is a lot more visible pop-in of wreckage during racing :(
I also reported the weaker crash sound effects that are very prominent while using the Wrecking Playground. Like some collisions don't have the amount of impact that they should. Hopefully Bugbear will see it and they'll try to improve some of the crashing sound effects so it sounds more brutal and harsh.

Is there a way to stop the countdown counter. We would love to explore the playground and can't spend more than a minute or two exploring and trying jumps etc because the contact counter always wrecks us almost immediately after the derby starts? Thanks for your help.

Toby Danger

Thank you so much guys! This is a wonderful addition, the Playground is a lot of fun, and a great throwback to how it all began.

That said, I think there's a problem with the Speedbird GT. I recently purchased it from the store, but when I take it into the Paint Customiser, the alternate Decal Styles and Liveries don't appear, leaving the car with no textures. Do you plan to fix this in the near future?

Mini-z1994

Thank you so much guys! This is a wonderful addition, the Playground is a lot of fun, and a great throwback to how it all began.

That said, I think there's a problem with the Speedbird GT. I recently purchased it from the store, but when I take it into the Paint Customiser, the alternate Decal Styles and Liveries don't appear, leaving the car with no textures. Do you plan to fix this in the near future?
Yeah they will be fixing it, about every person buying it has reported it probably at this point as a bug in discord & on the forum a few times too.

Mini-z1994

Mine didn't do this,... Was it the folks who spent 100,000 for it? Just curious.
Bought it for 50k here & still got it with the pink texture error on liveries & vinyls beyond the stock & one of them. I'm on pc here btw, which platform are you on that gives you no issues with the speedbird gt ?